Friday, May 15, 2020

Lost sauce

I can't find my very favorite sauce recipe - a tangy, flavorful sauce which is divine when paired with bites of filet mignon (or any steak, really). I can't find the paper it's on and I can't remember the actual name of the recipe, which would help with a google search. I call it Bistro sauce, and it's a copy of Kraft Gray Poupon Bistro Sauce. So, I did some internet searching and decided I should have a little sauce taste test with these three contenders:

EPICURIOUS NOT-SO-SECRET SAUCE

1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 1/2 teaspoons spicy pickle juice
1 1/2 teaspoons ketchup
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder

BOOM BOOM SAUCE
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 Tbsp ketchup
1 Tbsp sweet chili sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
¾ tsp Sriracha

FOOD.COM BISTRO SAUCE

2 cups mayonnaise
1 1⁄2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
2 tablespoons catsup
2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard (Creole) {I use dijon mustard}
1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1 teaspoon cajun seasoning {I do not put this in}
1 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika {is this why I have Hungarian paprika in my spice rack?}
2 finely minced garlic cloves {I use a garlic press. why mince when you can press?}

FOR ALL SAUCES:  Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.

Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
For best results, make sauce several hours ahead of time. The longer it sits, the better it is.

I suspect the last recipe is closest to my original recipe. I remember it had a depressingly long list of ingredients and that is why I make it so rarely - it is a pain. Also, you can't just "whip it up" when you suddenly decide you want some. It tastes awful at first, because it MUST sit in the fridge for at least a few hours or better, a day. I guess flavor melding is a real thing. Who knew? ;)

No comments: