Saturday, September 3, 2016

Cool lentil salad

Lentils are cheap and healthy, but I don't always want to eat them. Then after I found a recipe for toasted lentils, I threw this together in the kitchen. YUM!

Cook 1 cup of lentils with 3 cups of water (about 10-20 minutes, depending on the type and your preference for firmness). Let the cooked lentils sit in the fridge overnight if they are too mushy even after draining out any remaining liquid. The fridge will help dry them out a little bit so that this process works better. Or you can used canned, drained lentils. Which I didn't because I'm not sure I've ever even SEEN plain canned lentils in the store, But apparently somebody sells them, because the toasted lentil recipe used that!


Once you have somewhat dry, cooked lentils, put some olive oil in a pan (I used a nonstick pan for this, although I don't for much else other than scrambled eggs) on medium to medium to low heat, and add a small portion of the lentils. 



Let them toast slowly, breaking up the clumps until you have somewhat dry, toasted, small clumps of lentils. I am wondering if making a large, thin patty and frying that up would be easier or more effective? I might try that next time....



Don't forget to add a little seasoning! I put salt, garlic powder, and white pepper into mine ;)



Once parts of the lentils have browned, put them in a bowl. Add diced cucumber, halved cherry tomatoes (although mine are more pea-sized since the cherry tomato plant in the front yard is on its last legs), chopped rocket, and feta cheese. 



I also added a splash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and then a couple turns of the salt grinder with sea salt in it. I love it! *But (required disclaimer) for someone unaccustomed to more healthful eating, it might be a drastic taste difference from burgers and potato salad! 




No comments: