Thursday, May 21, 2009

Bean and asparagus bed





I planted six different kinds of beans, but the black beans haven't come up at all. Surely the slugs didn't get them all! I replanted but still see no signs of life. Guess I need to sprout those guys in a paper towel to see if they really are viable. I wonder if I can get my money back? The cowpeas were seriously devastated by the slugs...no great loss. It's the green beans and purple podded green beans I am craving, and we want to make pickled green beans later this summer, a great way to start canning, I think!

The asparagus bed is right next the beans...ferning out and looking good! Next year we can harvest a couple of stalks, but the real harvest starts in 2011! I'm excited already.

The corn is on the other side of the fence from the beans (chain link fence). Oddly, some of the tiny plants have started growing little ears already but the plants are less than 10 inches tall...is that normal? I will take a picture soon to document this occurence. If all else fails, I will eat it as baby corn in a stir-fry with the other baby corn that is growing well (not started as a transplant).

No comments: